Policy paper presentation: “Migration: Win-Win for Africa and Germany“
Migration from an African perspective: The Global Perspectives Initiative, the International Organization for Migration (IOM) and the Alfred Herrhausen Gesellschaft present the policy paper "Migration: Win-Win for Africa and Germany“ on 5 March in Berlin.
The new specialist immigration act („Fachkräfteeinwanderungsgesetz“) enters into force in March 2020. It is an important step to facilitate legal immigration from Africa. For a successful implementation, a German-African dialogue at eye level is required to debate essential questions, such as:
- How can labour market development in Africa be promoted in order to offer people a future perspective in their home country?
- What kind of economic progress do we need to employ Africa’s growing young population?
- What should a comprehensive framework for regulated and safe migration from Africa to Europe look like?
The authors of the policy paper have elaborated on these and other questions, with the support of the Mo Ibrahim Foundation, the African Institute for Development Policy and the Global Migration Data Analysis Centre der IOM.
After the presentation of the results, there will be a panel discussion with
- Maureen Achieng, Chief of the IOM office in Ethiopia and Representative of the IOM to the African Union, Intergovernmental Authority on Development and the Economic Commission for Africa UN/ECA
- Nathalie Delapalme, CEO of the Mo Ibrahim Foundation
- Dr. Karamba Diaby, Member of the German Parliament, Integration Commissioner of the SPD Parliamentary Group
- Dr. Mark Speich, State Secretary for Federal and European Affairs and International Affairs of the State of North Rhine-Westphalia, Representative of the State to the Federal Government
The event will be hold in German and English.
5 March 2020
5.30 to 9 p.m.
Participation for invited guests only. If you wish to attend, please contact: